The Global Big Latch On Rules
The challenge is to set the Global Big Latch On records for the most children breastfeeding simultaneously, the most breastfeeding women
gathering in public and the most people supporting breastfeeding families at 10.30am on Friday 4th August, 2017 or 10.30am Saturday 5th
August 2017. In order to qualify for breaking the Global Big Latch On record of 17,992 children breastfeeding simultaneously set in 2016,
please ensure the following rules are met:
1. All venues/locations for the Big Latch On must comply with the WHO International Code of Marketing of Breast Milk
2. All venues/locations must register with Big Latch On, prior to the event and ensure their location information is kept up
to date on the website.
3. Hosts may use the Global Big Latch On logo, 2017 Global Big Latch On design and other brand features as per Written
Agreement for use of Global Big Latch On Brand Features
4. You may seek sponsorship for your location/venue from local businesses that comply with the WHO Code of Marketing
of Breast-milk Substitutes (more details in this book).
5. Participants’ registration must be done on the day of the event.
6. Everyone at your location must sign the Global Big Latch On Event Sign In and Waiver Form with name, email address,
7. Count all the latches at 10:30am, see handbook for ideas and details about counting. Don’t worry if you are running a
bit late, or some children don’t latch on exactly at 10.30. Anyone who is breastfeeding/expressing around this time can
be counted (i.e. within a 10 minute time period can be counted). What counts as a latch: direct latching to breast; using
an supplemental nursing system or nipple shield; expressing milk (hand or pump) or by feeding your child breast milk
via an alternative method.
8. A ‘counter’ is someone you (as the host) have identified before the event to count the number of children ‘latched on’
at your venue/location. It is best to choose someone who is not also participating. We suggest having at least one
‘counter’ for groups of less than 10, and at least two for groups greater than 10.
9. ALL locations/venues must report their participant numbers before 4:30 pm local time on same day as the Big Latch
On, by logging in at www.biglatchon.org and completing the form for their location/venue.
Further guidance on the rules and hosting can be found in the FAQs, your host email updates and this complementary host
All public locations will be listed on www.biglatchon.org as soon as they are known. Records will be announced on the website,
facebook page and twitter as soon as possible after the event finishes.
After the event, the host at each location needs to:
Report their participant numbers by 4.30pm on the day of their event.
Submit the sign in forms, participant and host feedback forms by 16th August 2017.
Electronically by scan or photo and emailing to [email protected] (preferred)
Or mail to Global Big Latch On, PO BOX 83929, Portland OR 97283.
You no longer need to supply official evidence, but we would still love to receive photos from your venue.
The Global Big Latch On Rules