As the Global Big Latch On coordinator, I look forward to talking with you please email me at [email protected]
Our press and media packet is available here
You can access images here: Host Resources
About the Global Big Latch On
The Global Big Latch On takes place at a registered locations around the world, where people gather together to breastfeed and offer peer support to each other. Their friends, family and community join this celebration to promote and support breastfeeding. Volunteers from within the community host each location, hosting a Global Big Latch On creates a lasting support network for the community.
The Global Big Latch On takes place annually over three days during World Breastfeeding Week (1st – 7th August). This years dates are 3rd, 4th and 5th August, virtual participation is also available. Our other World Breastfeeding Week Celebrations include Express Yourself and Working Wednesday. As a worldwide peer support and community development event, it aims to strengthen national and global support for breastfeeding and to improve the health of children and people around the world.
Global Big Latch On records
|YEAR||PARTICIPATING COUNTRIES||INDIVIDUAL LOCATIONS||BREASTFEEDING CHILDREN (latched for the count)||BREASTFEEDING
The Big Latch On aims to protect, promote & support breastfeeding families by:
- Provide support for communities to identify and grow opportunities to provide on-going breastfeeding support and promotion in local communities.
- Raise awareness of breastfeeding support and knowledge available locally and globally.
- Help communities positively support breastfeeding in public places.
- Make breastfeeding as normal part of day-to-day life at a local community level.
- Increase support for people who breastfeed - breastfeeding/chestfeeding people are supported by their partners, family and their communities.
- Ensure communities have the resources to advocate for coordinated appropriate and accessible breastfeeding support services.
The Global Big Latch On is a highly successful, targeted community development initiative that raises awareness of breastfeeding, encourages the formation of support networks between breastfeeding people, and aims to normalize breastfeeding as a part of daily life.
History of the Global Big Latch On
- Women’s Health Action started the Big Latch On in New Zealand, in 2005.
- Joanne Edwards (Small Beginnings Group, LLC) introduced the Big Latch On to Portland, Oregon in 2010. From here it became a global event.